Wednesday, April 2, 2008

The Biggest Loser

As I stepped on the scale at the gym yesterday, I was hoping and praying that I lost at least 2 pounds from March Madness. Because otherwise all that hard work would be for nothing.

I lost 6.

Actually 6 1/2, but I was so blown away by the result that I just assumed that half pound is a fluke and so I am safe saying 6. I am probably the only person in the history of the world whose ever weighed themselves that doesn't count an extra half-pound. I lost an inch just about everywhere--my waist, my butt, my boobs (sorry Dan). And my resting heartbeat has gone from 70 beats a minute to 62 beats a minute. IN JUST ONE MONTH!

I know that I have been exercising regularly and eating very well, but for some reason I just thought it would never work out for me. I know that is crazy talk but I just feel like I have attempted diets before and nothing ever seems to happen. And this whole exercise reaffirmed by basic principle in life: If you really want something, you can do it. If you work hard, good things will come.

In terms of pursuing my creativity and my writing in March, I wasn't as successful and diligent as my health kick, but not a complete failure either. I started writing my book. I have documents of jibber-jabber to prove it. And that's further than I was before I started. And if I put the energy into it, good things will come out of that, too.

So I have decided to continue March Madness for the month of April. My initial goal was to lose 10 pounds and I am more than half-way there. I have a meeting on the calendar with my boss next week to talk about my schedule. There seems to be no end in sight for my freelance gig, and so I am going to ask that I work only four days a week--planning to use my extra day writing. This was the goal of freelancing in the first place, and I think it's imperative for me to start taking my creative projects more seriously. My weekends this month are light (for now) and so this month I am going to try to put more focus on things that are important: writing, drawing, painting dolls, taking pictures, cooking and baking. And continuing to shrink away. As Dan said, after telling him the news, "There's six less pounds of you to love." I'm fine with that.

1 comment:

Annette said...

HOORAY! Congrats on a job well done! You deserve it for that kind of willpower!