Monday, February 23, 2009

Oscar Winner

As always, I won the Oscar pool this year.

I beat Dan, like I always do which means that he's going to buy me a DVD of my choice. We watched at Kim and Nien's apartment, where they held a party. Kim wore an Oscar dress and the best-picture nominee themed menu included the best "frosted Nixon" cookies I ever had: Vanilla frosted cookies with Nixon's face stenciled in red sprinkles. I tied for first place from everyone who was there!

I voted mostly Slumdog Millionaire which I did think was a great movie and deserved to win. But the movie that no one is talking about (but apparently eating) was Frost/Nixon which I think was one of the best this year. I recommend you see both if you haven't already.

I absolutely adored the opening number presented by Hugh Jackman. This kind of old-school song and dance number is the reason why I love musicals. It reminds me of an old Gene Kelly movie. And Anne Hathaway singing was a pleasant surprise.




In case this doesn't work, go here.

3 comments:

Courts! said...

I missed the opening last night! Thank you for posting it. I don't care what kind of crappy movies Hugh does - he is a man of talent and of virtue!! That was awesome!!! I'm such a sucker for a good musical number too.

Ara said...

The Wrestler in my opinion, was the best film of the year. Slumdog was great, don't get me wrong, but a little too predictable and 15 minutes too long at the end. The opening number was by far the highlight of the night and the former winners presenting to the nominees was very heart warming.

I would like to join the pool, if I can, next year.

Yvonne said...

Yeah, I never cared for Hugh Jackman before but I think it's because I didn't know his talent. I am a complete convert. I love him now.

The Wrestler was the one movie that I didn't get to see before the awards which I really wanted to. Dan saw it and also said it was one of the year's best so I will be sure to check it out.

Perhaps we will do a Ham Oscar Pool next year. Stay tuned.