Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy 2009!

Dan and I decided weeks ago that we were staying in this New Year's Eve. I never enjoy myself too much on this overrated holiday and so I was relieved when we came to this decision. So relieved that when anyone asked what we were doing this New Year's, I blurted out, "We're staying in" in a way that seemed to suggest "so don't even think about inviting us anywhere."

It turned to be one of the best New Year's Eve I've had in a long time. Dan and I started the day by exchanging Christmas stockings. Any day started with present-opening ranks high in my book.


My presents included an umbrella, Williams-Sonoma hamburger and seafood spices, a scarf knitted by Dan's grandmother, measuring cups and spoons, a Giada cookbook from Dan's brother and sister-in-law, a Jillian Michaels workout DVD, a mini-camera and a pot holder/dish rag (I really needed new ones!)

I spent a good part of the day in the kitchen making my stand-by sausage lasagna, one of Dan's favorites (or at least I think so, since he always has seconds and thirds whenever I make it), and along with salad, garlic bread and some wine--we shared a nice candlelight dinner.

Then we had a good old fashioned movie marathon. We spent the evening watching Swing Time (Fred Astaire and Ginger Roger's most famous musical--my choice), Hot Fuzz (British cop comedy--Dan's choice) and Persepolis (cartoon about a girl who grows up in Iran--mutual choice)--sneaking in brownie breaks and tuning into Dick Clark's countdown on TV in between.

A great night like this is a good indication for a great year to come. Right?

2 comments:

Yvonne said...

I forgot to mention that when I told Dan I was making lasagna, he said he was so excited that we'd be "climbing the ladder to lasagna heaven." It was awesome. Especially when he pretended to be climbing a ladder.

Dr. Emmie-poo said...

Uh-have I had that lasagna?
Don't worry, I'll be in New York soon enough. Get those measuring cups ready...