Wednesday, May 12, 2010

City of Dreams

In the last few weeks, I have been going on a whirlwind of job interviews, and I was getting so much positive feedback that it seemed certain that I would be getting not one, but two(!) job offers. I was even starting to stress out on how I would handle such a "problem."

I was so excited that I began fantasizing about coming home from my wedding and honeymoon and going to work. I know, crazy right? I do miss working. And really, my dreams were about security and 401ks and money in my bank account and being able to replace some of my dingy things and sleeping better at night and not feeling like a complete loser when people ask me about my job status. I was so pumped after one my interviews that after wards, I actually went on a mini shopping spree at my favorite store. Soon, things will be back to normal again!

You may have already guessed where this is going, but I found out that I didn't get either job. I was one of the top two candidates in each instance. I know that both of these positions had many, many applicants and I should be proud that I made it so far but second best doesn't pay the bills.

I am so stumped by life right now. They say that things happen for a reason, but I have no idea what that means for me. Dan said that if I don't get these jobs that we'd be moving to New Orleans, and I kind of laughed because I was so certain I would get one of these jobs.

My dreams aren't coming true in New York and I don't see it getting better anytime soon, so maybe it's time to follow Dan's dream for a change. I still look forward to good things coming my way this month, even if it's not in the ways I expected.

2 comments:

Nell said...

MAN... that sucks Yvonne. Don't be too hard on yourself. I'm sure you are too cool and talented for either of those jobs anyway. I'd like to see you become the cupcake queen of manhattan!

Willy The Prince said...

Awe, I'm sorry girl. I hate that feeling when you are so sure, but it doesn't come through. It may be time for an adventure.