Sunday, April 19, 2009

Record Store Day

Did you know that April 18 was national Record Store Day? No, Dan did not make that up. There is such a day. Saturday was beautiful and warm, so Dan suggested we celebrate by visiting the Academy Annex record store in Williamsburg, Brooklyn.


Dan in his element.

Williamsburg is not very far from us, but every time I come here, I always feel like I am in a different world. For those of you who don't live in the city, the neighborhood is a strange mix of immigrants and hipsters, with old, ugly industrial buildings next to boutiques that sell $300 dresses. It's kind of what I imagined New York to be before I actually moved here--very gritty, cool and artsy.

The people watching is fascinating with the girls wearing their flower thrift shop dresses paired with boots and huge sunglasses and the boys with faded tee-shirts, skinny jeans and cool sneakers. They share a love for covering their bodies in tattoos and they all look like they don't shower and smoke a pack of cigarettes a day. I feel uncool and old around these people but at the same time, it feels like they are also trying too hard to be cool and young--so it evens out.


Here are some pictures I took on N 6th Street as Dan record shopped.

The Williamsburg scene: People on bikes, cool girl on cell phone, people selling vintage clothes on the street next to a giant pile of trash.


Walking and shopping.


Art on the walls and doors and ground.


Little girl at a boutique.


Stickers.


Flyer on street.


Art project gone wrong?


You think I would come all the way to Williamsburg just for record shopping? Dan treated me to an Italian dinner at PT, which had a beautiful outdoor garden. Despite good food and a lot of outdoor space, the restaurant had zero patrons except us. (Seriously--a first in NYC!) It was 6--early, I guess?

We also checked out
Cheeks Bakery for their cupcakes, which we saved for dessert. Loved them.

As soon as subway train crossed the border from Brooklyn to Manhattan, I felt like I was back to my city, the people around me a little less cool, a little more like me.

2 comments:

kunka. said...

in that picture of dan, when you say "in his element" do you mean "in a pink shirt with a popped collar?"

Willy The Prince said...

I like the picture of the little girl in the boutique. Great shots.