Monday, August 4, 2008

Call me.


8 am this morning.


11 am this morning. Proud owner of the new iPhone.

I have the day off from work, so I decided that today would be the the day to get my new iPhone. It's been 54 days since I have had a working phone. Remember when 30 days of unreachability sounded scary? Apparently I got used to it.

Taking Brett's advice, I decided to visit the West 14th Street Apple store location because it has the reputation of being the least crowded of the three Manhattan stores. When I arrived there at 8 am (when doors open), there was a winding line of about 100 people already outside, so I wasn't the only crazy one who set my alarm early to go stand in line. (BTW: With a 75/25% male/female ratio--quite possibly the perfect place to pick up dudes if you are into the tech type).

I spent the time reading and finishing my book, feeling a little strange that I was waiting in line for a phone. I don't even like talking on the phone. It all felt rather Cabbage Patch Kid circa 1984 for me.

Then they announced that they were out of the cheaper 8G version and only had the 16G, and that is when I decided that I was not going to wait in this line again, and my time was worth the extra $100.

The little blue-shirted man who helped me set up my phone was certainly not in sales (the most inspiring line he told me: "I got 45 minutes of sleep last night." Grreeeeeaaaaat.) He gave me no insight to the device I was buying (after waiting three hours, I was ready to purchase anything, just give me something please!). I was actually feeling a little jealous of the man buying his phone next to me involved in a lively conversation with his salesperson. My little man attempted to help me find a case for the phone, and I was like "don't worry about it. Just GO!"

Been playing around with it this afternoon and it's totally worth it. Even for a phone-hater like me.

No comments: