Thursday, July 17, 2008

I am leaving the country and I need clothes.

Dan and I are one day away of hopping on a plane and meeting his family in Buenos Aires, Argentina. Holy crap!

We have been planning this trip forever. Dan's father, Henry, grew up in Argentina and announced last winter that he will be taking his family for a visit. That means the parents Henry and Susan, brother David and wife Monica, and Dan and me. That's right! I am part of the family! We booked our airfare back in December or something, and have been exchanging emails and talking about it for the last six months.

But 24 hours to go and I feel completely unprepared.

Besides purchasing a guide book, I have done very little research about Buenos Aires. Apparently it is the hot destination to go right now (that is also dollar friendly) so I have read a few articles that have popped up in my regular magazine and online reading, but that is about it.

Yesterday, I began to pack. It is winter in Argentina now (Untrustworthy Weather.com says it should be about 60 degrees all week, but who knows?) This is the first trip in a long time that I did not buy new clothes. (Who wants to buy winter clothes in July? Where can one find winter clothes in July?) But looking at my crummy options, it dawned on me. I may wear this crap in Argentina, but come Fall, I gotta get a winter wardrobe overhaul. Not only are all my pants too big and dragging on the floor, I am just sick of not looking cute when the cold weather hits. I am turning 30 this year and so things will be different. I will be 30 and cute. (Don't worry, Mom, I will be alright for the trip. BTW: Mom is the one who instilled the get a new wardrobe for every vacation mentality, so I imagine this entry is making her feel uneasy.)

That said, even though I won't be at my fullest cute capacity next week, I am starting to get really excited about going away. It's my first time off since my Euro trip and I need the break. I have been dragging my feet at work and have been to busy lately to relax. I don't know what to expect (except lots of steak and Dan forcing us to visit some record stores) but I am ready to go with the flow.

1 comment:

Willy The Prince said...

Dear Y,

I am there with you on the clothes. I HAD to comment. It's a tradition.

I’m sad that I won't be seeing your smiling face in the office anymore, but hey, you don't have to read my crummy, half-assed proposals.

Have an amazing time, lots of steak, great wine, empanadas...and as Evita says, "don't cry for me". I'll be checking for updates (probably everyday)

Love,
Your stalker
aka biggest fan