Thursday, November 26, 2009

Thanksgiving Day News

I work in cable news now and part of the deal is that you work on holidays. The news never stops people! I feel like it makes people in this industry feel like tough stuff. Sure, everyone complains, but I think it also makes them secretly pat themselves on the back for being the hardcore workaholic newshounds that they are. I am not sure if I fit in this business. When I saw my name on the schedule for Thursday and Friday of Thanksgiving on a 9 to 5 shift, I cried.

My mother postponed Thanksgiving dinner to accommodate me and my work schedule, so I was handling it much better emotionally until my boss came up to me and said they needed someone to be at work at 5am on both days and told asked me to be that someone. Gulp. That meant I was suddenly working 5am to 5pm shifts BOTH days. There would be no Thanksgiving for me.

Don't feel sorry for me because I have done a good job feeling sorry for myself this past week. Actually, the anticipation of working was worse than the actual working. Even though I missed my family, Thanksgiving itself was not so bad.

The lights at Columbus Circle looked lovely and festive in the morning at 4:50 am.

Our office has an perfect vantage point of the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade so I had a chance to see the likes of Snoopy, Shrek and Pikachu go right by my office window.

Besides the first three hours of the day, I had no real work to do so most of the morning was spent looking outside. Co-workers who weren't working came in with their families to watch the parade so the office had a real nice party atmosphere.

At noon, we were served a real Thanksgiving dinner. It's not as good as mom's, but it wasn't so horrible either. Then, I was allowed to leave at 3pm, two hours earlier than expected!

Even with the early dismissal, it was way too much trouble to head to Jersey for Thanksgiving since I had to be back at work 5 am the next day. My friend Meagan had graciously invited us to spend the holiday with her and her mom in the city, however, I knew after a long workday like that, all I wanted was a quiet evening.

I considered cooking dinner for one second, but then Dan took matters into his own hands and offered to cook us Thanksgiving dinner himself! The day before, he stopped at the farmer's market to pick up produce and the butcher to get the meat. He planned to make a feast unlike one we've ever seen in our home.

He is the chef with our Thanksgiving Day feast.

I convinced Dan that cooking turkey was a bad idea (too much food and work for just two people) but Dan still wanted something special so he decided to make venison (something I have NEVER cooked before or would consider even cooking), baked sweet potatoes, spinach, carrots and cranberry sauce. My contribution was a triple chocolate pumpkin pie I made Tuesday night topped with whipped cream. It was a memorable feast and a wonderful way to spend the holiday. And when it was over, Dan cleaned all the dishes. What a guy, what a day.

The night ended with an hour of Beatles rock band practice and then I was in bed by 9:30.

The next day, I had to work until 5 and had actual stuff to do and there were no real leftovers. Holiday over. Can't wait until next year!

1 comment:

Willytheprince said...

Cute Dan. It sounds like it turned out special after all. least you didn't eat Entemenn's Pumpkin Pie like I did. The shame! Willy and I just couldn't clear the fog to prepare a proper dinner. But it was still special in its own way.

Can't wait to see you on Monday.