Thursday, November 26, 2009

Balloons. Check.

When Dan and I visited our friends Charina and Jim in Colorado this summer, they revealed that they had embarked on a project that had changed their lives and strengthened their marriage. How intriguing!

They had each written a list of 100 things that they wanted to do and gave themselves one year to accomplish everything. The list included goals both big and small--from roasting a chicken to taking an exotic vacation. While the majority of the items on the list were things to do together as a couple, individual goals could also be included, with the only requirement that the other person be a supportive partner.

Dan and I thought this was an amazing idea, and we decided to put together a list of our own. We decided that 100 items each was too ambitious and opted for only 50 each (which proved to be too much for Dan who could only come up with 25 items--many of them repeats of goals on my list. Naturally, I had no trouble. I can write lists of goals in my sleep). We presented our ideas on my 31st birthday, thinking this would be a good point for start our yearlong project, ending up with a list of 69 goals--which we've added onto since.

Awesome right? Too bad we suck at it. It's been nearly two months later, and we just crossed off ONE item on our list.

Yesterday, we went to the Upper West Side to see the balloons being blown up for the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade. This was something I had put on the list. Dan and I went to see the parade a few years ago where we discovered that the balloons are much smaller and lower to the ground than they appear on TV. But since living here, I had heard rumblings that the real show was the night before where you can watch all the preparations of the balloons getting inflated and lined up. I heard you could walk right up to them and take some fantastic photos.

Unfortunately, we missed the boat. Seeing the balloons getting blown up was great.....a few years ago. Now everyone knows about it, so just like all the good gems in New York City, it is overrun with people and not really all that fun anymore. After doing some online research, I had a sense this was the case, but we went anyway.

With Dan grumbling the entire time, we found ourselves walking in slow motion alongside of a sea of people in the misty rain. Walking just two city blocks took about a half an hour, the balloons were already blown up (most of them face down on the pavement) and there were tons of barricades in the way so you couldn't get up too close. And the photos--well, you can take them sure, if you don't mind random people blocking your view and running into you every two seconds. I wasn't too excited about my results (some are below).

After getting our fill of the first balloon-and-people-filled block, we had enough and opted not to see the second one.

Mission 1 on the list accomplished. I am guessing that we won't be doing this ever again. Glad it's out of the way. A lot more better things (I hope) to come.


The Energizer Bunny


Ronald's back.


Kermit's feet


Dan, the ever supportive spouse, ecstatic to be there.

1 comment:

Willy The Prince said...

Very cool. I'm glad you got to cross one off. I've been neglecting my 40x40 although becoming a mom is on there, I must continue with the rest.

Here's to three months to get things moving...I hope.