Wednesday, December 16, 2009

It's raining in New Orleans

Dan and I spent the last four days in New Orleans in a wedding planning spree. It was very productive weekend, and it certainly made us super excited for our May wedding.

The weather was just plain awful. On Saturday, the city experienced FOUR INCHES of rain. I have seen heavy rain before but nothing like this. Dan put it best when he said, "I feel like we're in Vietnam." It was one of those rains where if you stepped outside for a second, you were immediately soaked. Strangely enough, many locals couldn't be bothered with umbrellas and just walked around getting drenched. Many roads, including St Charles Avenue, were half-way filled with water. Cars were parked on grassy mediums to avoid getting flooded out.

Just when you thought the rain would stop, it didn't. It wouldn't. While Saturday was the worst of it, it carried on like this for most of our time there. I am hoping it all gets out of its system before our wedding day.

Here's Dan on a rare "dry" moment--actually it was drizzling a little here. And this is pretty much the only picture I took this weekend.

We ate well on the trip. Perhaps too well. We were never hungry, always full. On the advice of many people, we had a lovely dinner at the well-regarded Cochon, a restaurant that is all pig all the time. While the rain tapped on the windows, we enjoyed oysters in a nice spicy sauce, Louisiana cochon topped with cracklins, twice baked potato and a rich chocolate cake.

I won't delve into too much information about weekend since it has to do with our wedding and one, it's kind of boring to hear the minor details and two, we want to keep some element of surprise. On the last day, I went to a beauty salon for a hair trial to try out the up-do that I plan to wear for the wedding day. Afterward, I felt a little funny walking around town in blue jeans all dolled up with my hair and make-up. But I was completely surprised when we went to the airport and I repeatedly set off the alarm through the security check point.

They gave me a full pat down. The verdict: Too many bobby pins. True story.


Jacey said...

The exact same thing happened to me in the Chicago airport after my hair trial. Major security issue. Then I spent the 4 hour flight pulling over 100 bobby pins out of my hair. Why does it take so many to do such a simple hairstyle?

kunka. said...

I went to comment on this but see my wife beat me to it. Oh bobby pins.

Can't wait for NO!! 12 Rounds tour on the schedule!

Willytheprince said...

Good thing it wasn't a lightning storm in NOLA - you would have been a walking target.

I can't wait for NOLA and to see this hairdo

Susan said...

So-o glad it was a productive trip, albeit a wet one. Can't wait for NOLA.