Friday, July 17, 2009

"ello, Gov'na!"

Perhaps I should be blogging more, but believe me, nothing is happening. Nothing. Nada. Zilch. If you don't believe me, stop by my apartment any day of the week and you will witness me and nothing. Sad but true.

So compared to my daily routine, today was been extraordinarily delightful because A) I got out of my apartment B) I left the Upper East Side and C) I had some much needed human interaction by spending the day with my friend Heather.

After an Italian "breakfast" at Rocco's (if you count breakfast as being a freshly filled cannoli), we took the ferry over to Governors Island which has suddenly become the cool excursion from New York City. It might have been helpful to read up on the Island before we got there. We might have had a better idea of things to do, places to see. But when Heather and I get together, we tend to just talk, talk, talk and somehow the setting seems insignificant. So it didn't really matter that we didn't know what we were doing.

I am unsure I understand the appeal of the Island. You can rent a bike and ride around, but the line was so long that we opted to wander by foot. The island used to be a military base. It is filled with abandoned houses and barracks, so it resembles a strange, modern-day ghost town. A few art galleries fill the empty spaces but mostly everything is empty. There is a lot of grass and nice spaces to picnic and lounge around. Some areas are complete eyesores, yet the views of downtown Manhattan and the Statue of Liberty are lovely. There is a little makeshift beach with a bar, but otherwise, there is relatively little to do. I wish we had stumbled upon the mini-golf course. Instead, we found the Picnic Point where we hovered by the coveted hammocks until someone left. We laid down together and chatted only to be periodically interrupted by the eerie, communist-style brainwashing music that piped over the loudspeaker. I am still unsure what that was all about.


Relaxing on one of the red lawn chairs found throughout Governors Island.
[Picture by Heather]




Heather, me and the downtown Manhattan skyline.


There were lots of hydrangea bushes.
[Picture by Heather]



Would you believe Heather is five months pregnant? I hope I look that good when I am pregnant. "You will," Heather reassured me with much confidence. That's why we're friends.


We considered buying one of these abandoned houses since they were much nicer than our current apartments. I thought a vanity would work quite well in this little nook of the master bedroom.
[Picture by Heather]


Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh. This is the life. Hammocks and high water maternity jeans.
[Picture by Heather]

4 comments:

Willy The Prince said...

Yeah. Had a blast. I am not wearing those jeans again. Ever.

Let me get started on our beach adventure.

Brian said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Brian said...

My father grew up in Brooklyn, and as a boy scout he went camping on Governors Island. That makes me laugh.

I'm glad you're taking advantage of the city: islands, parks, bake-offs. Have you ever gone to Water Taxi Beach? That's on my to do list.

Ampelhead said...

What a beautiful red chair. I want a couple of those in a backyard that I might own someday.